You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Rastasnob Reggae Magazine

BOB MARLEY MAGAZINE FORUM
The Rastaman Vibration is Positive!

Go Back   BOBMARLEYMAGAZINE FORUM > All Forums > English > Bob Marley English Section > Bob Marley

Notices

Bob Marley section about the greatest artist of the XX Century

Views: 3150 - Replies: 35  
Old 24-04-12   #11
joe
Redder Than Red
Points: 19,883, Level: 89 Points: 19,883, Level: 89 Points: 19,883, Level: 89
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Re: Marley Film Reviews

well said Bombora, I could not agree more. I believe the family had quite a bit of final say.

Cedella posted this on her page and it's pretty much why her interviews were some of the most moving to me.
Copyright?: BOBMARLEYMAGAZINE FORUM http://www.bobmarleymagazine.com/forum_bmwm/showthread.php?t=63977

From the Telegraph.co.Uk interview with Director of Marley.

FW: The one woman in the film who wasn't starry-eyed about him was his daughter Sidella. She is quite critical of him, but also seemed to be one of the most touching interviewees?
KMD: Sidella so wants to be close to her father and so admires him and so loved him. He died when she was 14. And yet she felt like she never got close to him. He was always away with other women and away from her mother. He left before he should have left. He died before he should There’s this huge anger and this huge love and admiration and you can see this conflict is still unresloved in her. She’s the human cost of his huge success.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Facebook page:

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joe For This Useful Post:
Blaise90 (24-04-12), marco (24-04-12)
Sponsored Links
Old 24-04-12   #12
marco
Administrator

Points: 45,989, Level: 100 Points: 45,989, Level: 100 Points: 45,989, Level: 100
Activity: 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe View Post
well said Bombora, I could not agree more. I believe the family had quite a bit of final say.

Cedella posted this on her page and it's pretty much why her interviews were some of the most moving to me.

From the Telegraph.co.Uk interview with Director of Marley.

FW: The one woman in the film who wasn't starry-eyed about him was his daughter Sidella. She is quite critical of him, but also seemed to be one of the most touching interviewees?
KMD: Sidella so wants to be close to her father and so admires him and so loved him. He died when she was 14. And yet she felt like she never got close to him. He was always away with other women and away from her mother. He left before he should have left. He died before he should There’s this huge anger and this huge love and admiration and you can see this conflict is still unresloved in her. She’s the human cost of his huge success.

Old 24-04-12   #13
marco
Administrator

Points: 45,989, Level: 100 Points: 45,989, Level: 100 Points: 45,989, Level: 100

Bombora: yes, Cindy has a great role in the film and no space for Damian or Stephen
But can you imagine the lenght of this film if Damian and Stephen were interviewed?
I think (and I hope) that the DVD will contain more footage and more details about Bob's lifetime
Last thing: IMHO, Kevin McDonald tried to be original because we have so many documentaries about Bob, from caribbean night to rebel music with the same footage, the same stories, the same interviews.
His point of view is uncritical, he doesn't judge, he doesn't claim that Bob is the reincarnation of Jesus Christ or a prophet. His point of view is "secular". It's a "western" "white" "laical" point of view. Like many of us have.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to marco For This Useful Post:
Dane (30-04-12), joe (24-04-12)
Old 24-04-12   #14
marco
Administrator

p.s. what do you think about the version of no woman no cry with peter tosh????
it sounds.... strange
Bob's vocal is pretty the same of the album version... but the music seems "alien" to the vocal

Old 24-04-12   #15
joe
Redder Than Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by marco View Post
p.s. what do you think about the version of no woman no cry with peter tosh????
it sounds.... strange
Bob's vocal is pretty the same of the album version... but the music seems "alien" to the vocal
I thought it sounded strange too Marco.

Facebook page:

Old 24-04-12   #16
Bombora
Rude Boy
Points: 1,439, Level: 21 Points: 1,439, Level: 21 Points: 1,439, Level: 21

Marco,

Not even talking "no space", I think it may be more to it than that. feel me? Unless I missed it quite a few people have not even promoted the movie in any way what so ever. Just a post somewhere , hey go see this movie about my father... what ever it be. Of course I'm only stirring the pot. e
Bombora no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Old 24-04-12   #17
Bombora
Rude Boy
Points: 1,439, Level: 21 Points: 1,439, Level: 21 Points: 1,439, Level: 21

And here is DVD info:

DVD-Release: Marley - the Bob Marley movie! The bonus DVD will feature 4 unseen songs, Stephen Marley interview, 20min interview with Bunny Wailer and more... [out in August/September]

More at the link
http://www.reggaeville.com/nc/artist...tReleases.html

So Stephen was interviewed :
Bombora no está en línea   Reply With Quote

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bombora For This Useful Post:
Blaise90 (24-04-12), fabio (28-04-12), marco (26-04-12), stonechater (24-04-12)
Old 27-04-12   #18
teamster6924
Natty Dread
Points: 6,503, Level: 52 Points: 6,503, Level: 52 Points: 6,503, Level: 52
Activity: 60%
Activity: 60% Activity: 60% Activity: 60%

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe View Post
I watched it last night and again a little bit this morning. It's very good. Some things I like are the great interviews. I felt Cedella's were some of the best. The nurse from Germany was nice. I thought it was great that they gave the GREAT Sledge so much time. There were new photos to my eyes and maybe a smidgen of new footage around the Smile JA part.

Some blatant omissions that I find unimaginable to not be included.

1- ZERO mention of Bob being abandoned by his father in Kingston. This was a huge part of Bob's life and was so much of why he was the way he was. To not even mention is a terrible omission. They went straight from Nine Mile to Bob moving to Kingston with Mother B.

2- No mention of Bob receiving the UN Peace Medal. Too big of a moment in his life not to be included. I found several things could have easily been omitted to make way for those two major things.

But all in all it's a fantastic documentary. It's tells Bob's story for new fans in a easy to understand manner. Well put together. Great footage. Good music.

It will easily stand the test of time.
this was discussed in the film. Infact one of my favorite moments is when Neville talks about Bob's relationship with Selassie. He says that to Bob, Selassie was like the father to Bob becuase Bob's father had abandoned him.

The film was beautifully shot. I think this might be where Marco is coming from talking about the director. The cinematography/photography/overall look of the film was very artistic and unlike your run of the mill docu.

Old 28-04-12   #19
joe
Redder Than Red

Award Re: Marley Film Reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamster6924 View Post
this was discussed in the film. Infact one of my favorite moments is when Neville talks about Bob's relationship with Selassie. He says that to Bob, Selassie was like the father to Bob becuase Bob's father had abandoned him.

The film was beautifully shot. I think this might be where Marco is coming from talking about the director. The cinematography/photography/overall look of the film was very artistic and unlike your run of the mill docu.
let's call a spade a spade. this was by no means discussed in the film. it was mentioned by one person in one interview. That, is being mention not being discussed, or pointed out. If it was discussed in the film it would have been made a point, either through interview or by text, in the part of the film when they talked about Bob's youth. They spent a lot of time in the documentary discussing Bob's youth and his father. The fact is Bob was taken to Kingston by his father to "get a better education" when he got there he was abandoned by his dad to care for an old lady. Keep in mind this is a young boy, this is an instrumental point in a child's development. Finally a friend of his mother's spotted Bob and eventually Cedella was able to locate him in Kingston and bring him home to Nine Mile. This was a major event and time in Bob's life and in my opinion was a large part of why he was who he was and why of his future relationships were the way they were. Let's not confuse what Bob went through with a dad who divorces a mom and leaves the household. Bob was taken by his dad, travelled with his dad for a length of time to Kingston was probably told, "life will be much better son, I'll get you a good education and you'll be better off". Instead, his one and only dad abandoned him with an old lady and left him to fend for himself. Can you imagine what went through Bob's mind as he lay his head to sleep each night?

This major part of Bob's life was by no means was discussed in the film and is an absolute inexcusable omission.

I completely agree that this is a beautifully shot documentary but no less or no more beautiful than what Jeremy Marre, Jo Mendell or Charles Chabot shot. Technology has increased but not vision.

Kevin came up with some unique angles but to me do not make this some incredible epic film. I think it is extremely poorly edited (In many instances) and has too many omissions (and in this case one is too many and they had 2 majors omissions and plenty more). I'm sorry, that if in my opinion, this is absolutely just your run of the mill documentary. If this is indeed the final documentary on Bob and the Wailers, as the family and record label want it.....well.....sorry guys...Peter, Bunny, Junior, Ziggy, Cherry, Beverly, Wya, Cedella, Fams, Carly, Al, Stephen, Junior, Tyrone, Seeco, Chinna, Judy, Johnny, Marcia, Rohan, Ky-Mani, Damian, Rita, Donald and many more. We have tried, JAH knows we have tried!

Where is the rule that a documentary on a man as important as Bob Marley has to be under two and a half hours? Weak excuse for anything related to this matter.

On that note, sorry for any negativity especially MW, I have nothing but love and positive vibes it's just that I was not as excited about this film as I hoped I would be. I do think it is a very good documentary but I also think Caribbean Nights and rebel Music are very good documentaries. I think all three will stand the test of time and all three compliment each other well.

Facebook page:

Last edited by joe; 28-04-12 at 05:36.
joe no está en línea   Reply With Quote

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joe For This Useful Post:
marco (28-04-12), teamster6924 (29-04-12)
Old 28-04-12   #20
marco
Administrator

Joe, I understand what you mean: we had many expectations about this film. Scorsese, Demme, Mc Donald. So many years waiting for this film, daydreaming about unseen footage, photos, unreleased songs and thinking that it must be a "film", not a "trite" documentary because we have already good documentaries about Bob
Finally we watch the film and.... uh uh it's a documentary! Okay, it's a very good documentary but the fact remains that is a documentary!
Copyright?: BOBMARLEYMAGAZINE FORUM http://www.bobmarleymagazine.com/forum_bmwm/showthread.php?t=63977
Where is the poetry? Where is the original point of view? Where is the director's glimpse?
Well Joe, I'm not so pessimist. In my opinion this "Marley" is an original work.
Caribbean night and Rebel Music, for example, where a mere successions of footage, interviews, photos.
Kevin McDonald tried to tell a story, the story of a man called Bob Marley
Did he make it? I think yes
Despite the omissions, despite the repetitions.
We have unseen footage, as we hoped
We have unseen photos, as we hoped
We have beautiful cameraworks, filming
We have original interviews (nancy burke, bob's cousin, the nurse...)
I think it's the best Kevin can do
I watched the film and it didn't left me cold, I got excited. Many viewers said they were in tears at the end of the film. Do you think it happened also with caribbean night or rebel music?

The Following User Says Thank You to marco For This Useful Post:
joe (28-04-12)